Saturday, October 22, 2005

The day i almost died

I know some of you out there are thinking "Damn! Why didn't he die?", just like what Gerald said. Cos he wanted my IPod Nano. Well, all i've got to say is, toooo bad.

(and oh did I say i had a Nano?)

Well, today I flew to 2 international Airports, not the Changi Airport volume, but airports where medium sized jets land, and take off. THey are Regina and Saskatoon.

And so I went to Regina and i took off and at 300 kts i saw something ahead of me, than at 350 kts, i was able to make out what the hell was it and instinctively i PUSHED my stick down and VROOOOM! a bunch of large geese flew just past my canopy. My instructor told me he was reading something on his kneeboard, and the next moment he was hanging by the straps and saw the geese in reach distance.

So birds so what? Well, birds are the most dangerous objects for a pilot. Imagine this. 350kts*1.8=630km/h=6.3*10^5 m/s. So when a bird hit, assume deceleration to zero at 0.5 seconds. So acceleration forces would be 1.26*10^6m/s-2. So the weight of a geese might be 5kg? so Using newton's law, F=ma, F= 5*1.26*10^6= 6.3*10^6 Newtons.

Well u get the idea. Thats alot of force.

No comments: